incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate JSecurity Project
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:52:47 GMT
On Jun 1, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On May 31, 2008, at 7:27 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> I've signed on to mentor this project.
>
> Great!
>
>> Maybe there is a "fast track" through the incubator, and this is a
>> good project to try it out. Can JSecurity get graduated in six
>> months?
>
> IIUC, all incubator projects are on the "fast track".

Well, there is a big difference between entry and exit criteria for
the incubator. Many projects entering incubation need to resolve IP
issues, build a community, and learn how to work in open source. So,
no, I don't think all projects are on the fast track.

> I personally like to see one release under incubation to see the
> podling in action.

And most incubator folks agree.

> It's always interesting to see what happens when  people outside the
> original clique start contributing to the project.

Yes, community building is a big part of incubation.

Craig