incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Empire-db
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:15:25 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Henning Schmiedehausen
<hps@intermeta.de> wrote:
> ==== Inexperience with Open Source: ====
> Empire-db has been Open Source from its start in 2001, but it has only
> been publicly available since January 2008.

This is odd to say the least, and from the empire-db.org [1] website I
find this quote:

"In summer 2007 ESTEAM Software decided that the solution was
now mature enough to be released as an Open Source project under
the name Empire-db."

So it was actually open source since Jan 2008? It doesn't matter much, but I do
find it odd :)

> All committers have long
> experience in using Open Source projects, but none has served as a
> committer on other Apache projects. We do, however, not expect any
> difficulty in adapting the Apace development process and follow the
> meritocracy rules.

This is something the Incubator exists for.

> ==== Homogenous developers: ====
> All core developers have initially worked for the same employer, with
> one now working for a different employer at a different location. It is
> one of our primary goals to become a more heterogeneous community.

This does make the barrier to entry a bit high for non-involved folks. There is
little evidence of open development available for empire-db. Only the
sf.net forum
is public and consists of just one active thread in the last 6 months.

Also the development of an open source project should happen out in
the open. The CVS statistics of sourceforge.net [2] show little to no
activity regarding this project:

Date (UTC)	Anon Read Transactions	Devel Read Transactions	Write Transactions
Jun 2008 *	1	28	7
May 2008	0	0	0
Apr 2008	0	0	0
Mar 2008	4	0	0
Feb 2008	0	8	7
Jan 2008	0	0	0
Total	5	36	14

What is the current development style of the committers? Is there no
activity in CVS because the project is "done"? Or because development
occurs off-line?

Martijn Dashorst

[1] http://www.empire-db.org/empiredb/faq.htm#question1
[2] http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=214540&ugn=empire-db&type=cvs&mode=12months