incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <>
Subject Re: maven-repository cont.
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:45:43 GMT
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Noel J. Bergman <> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> > "Every incubator release is also an Apache release"
>> >
>> +1
>> every incubator release is an official apache release
> While technically accurate, the way you are both using the term conveys a
> false meaning that would be in conflict with the clear statement in the
> Incubator Disclaimer:
>  "While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the
>   completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
>   the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF."
> And every time you want to gray that area, you provide more weight for
> making the division between the Incubator and the rest of the ASF more
> starkly delineated, which would result in measures more onerous than most
> under discussion.  So let's try and keep that line nice and clear, rather
> than blur it.
>        --- Noel

I dont' get where the contradiction is, or the gray area. 'Release' is
about source code, 'project' is about much more: people, code, etc.
Let's say, the Incubator publishes a release
'' of podling 'foo'. Say, the released code
is stable and has everything we would want from a release. Later, the
project gets cancelled while in incubation, for diversity reasons,
lack of interest, whatever. So we have (a) a regular release of (b) a
failed incubating project.
The _release_ refers to the released code, while the podling failed,
which the _disclaimer_ is good for.
If it wasn't a proper release, well it shouldn't have been released.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message