incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 72-hour lazy consensus for podling committer + PPMC member votes (was: INCUBATOR-57 aka IPMC votes...)
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:56:06 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Umm... why "no binding -1 votes"?   I thought adding a committer wasn't
> a vetoable thing, just code modifications.   This should be a majority
> approval vote thing. (with it linked to
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval for
> details)

A -1 should be triggering a proper review of the objection.  If it's legit,
several +1's will become -1's, but understanding why that vote was cast
(maybe obstructionism, maybe personal bias, maybe an unhealthy community)
will help the incubator understand if the project is on track to graduate
and manage itself.

So the "no binding -1's" just triggers a proper review and vote, no longer
just lazy consensus.  It doesn't happen often and needs to be reviewed.

Bill