incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: maven-repository cont.
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:17:49 GMT
>Part of the Incubation process is to ensure that there is sufficient
>community to maintain the code after incubation.

>It seems a bad idea to allow artefacts into the main repository where
>they can become dependencies unless there is some chance that they
>will be maintained.

This is an argument for saying that TLP Apache projects can't depend on
incubator artifacts then. Otherwise those projects suddenly don't work
because a dependency disappeared.

I personally don't think this should be the case. If they are released
and someone wants to use them, then they should go into central where
they live forever like everything else. Just because the community goes
away does not mean the artifact should disappear too.

If the intent is that incubator artifacts might go away in the future,
then they should not go into any artifact and force people to install
them manually right from day one so users know they are responsible for
them. I don't think anyone wants this as it will effectively neuter all
incubators from being used except in the most extreme cases.

--Brian