incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 72-hour lazy consensus for podling committer + PPMC member votes (was: INCUBATOR-57 aka IPMC votes...)
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:55:15 GMT
Noel's proposed change to Justin's proposed change is better but I'd
prefer that the process be crisper in the case that the PPMC vote
fails to get the required three PMC member votes.

<proposed>
Vote on the podling's private (PPMC) list, with notice posted to the
Incubator private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
podling's private list. Many consider this approach to be best
practice.

After completing the vote on the PPMC list, if there are three
or more binding (incubator PMC member) votes, the proposer
*sends a note to* the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
vote threads by the PPMC.  *Any member of the Incubator PMC can ACK
the receipt of the vote.  This starts a 72-hour window for lazy
consensus.  After 72 hours and no requests by any Incubator PMC member
for a full vote by the Incubator PMC, the committer request is
approved by the Incubator PMC and the PPMC can start the committer
invitation process.*

If there are not three binding votes in the PPMC vote,  the proposer
calls a vote
on the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
vote threads by the PPMC.
</proposed>

Craig