incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q: ip-clearance step 5
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 20:01:18 GMT
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/08, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Where do I commit the code and in what form? I have a kitten-auth.zip
>>  > file, should the zip file be committed or the unzipped code?
>> apache needs a record of the checksummed artifact. this is likely to
>>  be the zipped code.
>
> I've attached it to a JIRA issue
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-1610).
>
> But the IP-Clearance form asks for the code to reflect the new
> copyright information:
>
> "Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright."

AIUI that statement is incorrect

> This means I shouldn't commit the zipped code, but the code itself,
> modify it to make it ASF policy compliant, and then hold the
> acceptance vote?

the principle is very simple: apache needs to record the artifact that
has the right checksum

IMHO the best practice is to record the artifact in a JIRA and then
commit the uncompressed code as is into a separate area before
updating it. this ensures that the conversion process is recorded.

>>  (IMHO the process is too heavyweight and needs revision)
>
> Heavyweight is not the biggest problem. It is mostly confusing and
> contradictory.

IMO it's confusing and contardictory nature arises from it's weight

- robert