incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject May 2008 Incubator Board Report
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 13:26:01 GMT
CXF has graduated, Tuscany is before the Board this month to graduate.  As
they leave, at least 4 new projects are under consideration for Incubation.

Roy has raised issues with the procedure for IP Clearance.  The Legal
Committee has this week indicated that they've no problems with the changes
proposed by Roy.

Oddly, in that there has been a significant volume during the past month
compared to most months, there have been a lot of IP Clearances done since
the April Board report.

Tony Stevenson has helped to prod projects into cleaning up their resources
when leaving the Incubator, particularly disk space.

A number of projects, e.g., UIMA and River, performed releases during the
past month.

May 2008 Board reports (see ReportingSchedule).

=== Abdera ===

Abdera released it's 0.4.0-incubating release on April 11th.

We've been in incubation since June 2006 and main focus moving forward will
be working towards graduation and a 1.0 release. Main item to resolve before
graduation is more active committer involvement. 0.4.0 saw a marked increase
in community contributions.  We also need to continue improving
documentation.

=== CouchDB ===

CouchDB is a distributed document-oriented database system written in
Erlang. The project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.

Work continued on adding the Reduce-part of our Map/Reduce powered view
system. Code for this is not yet in SVN, but is near completion. We also
began making CouchDB configurable at runtime. IBM want to contribute
JSearch-(JSON indexing built on Lucene)-support to CouchDB. We are in the
process of discussing how to do this with the developers. JSearch as
IBM-internal clearance of being added to Apache projects. The license of
this unknown at this stage.

Finally, we have been discussion open work items for our upcoming 0.8 and
1.0 releases respectively. We hope to be able to produce a 0.8 release soon.

=== Lokahi ===

Lokahi is a configuration and management console for Apache httpd, tomcat
and other web server infrastructure.

Incubating since: 2006-01-07

Testing on the MySQL port is continuing.  A Fast Feather presentation on
Lokahi was given at Apachecon in Atlanta.  Recently talk (and some code) has
begun around templating of configuration files, specifically for Apache
Httpd at this time.  And the need to extend Lokahi to manage Geronimo has
been mentioned.

Obstacles to graduation:

  *  community - now includes authors outside of the original dev community,
but additional committers are sought.

  * licensing - oracle-only backend is now 95% of the way to an alternate
MySQL backend, and soon to be enhanced with license agnostic interfaces

=== NMaven ===

NMaven develops plugins and integration for Maven to make building and using
.NET languages a first-class citizen in Maven.

Incubating since: 2006-11-17

Items to resolve before graduation
  * More active committer involvement. We have two active committers from
different organizations but need at least one more.

  * Many more community patches are coming in.
  * Lost one mentor due to personal reasons.

Plans:
  * We lost a lot of features when we rewrote the code so the plan is to
start reimplementing these features.
  * We have a number of patches for an old snapshot, which is very different
from current trunk. Need to get all this migrated into the current trunk
(related to above).

=== PDFBox ===

Apache PDFBox is an open source Java library for working with PDF documents.
PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.

No progress last month as we're still waiting for the software grants for
the PDFBox sources. Once received, we'll finish the migration to Apache
infrastructure. We also need to do a more thorough license and export review
and work on migrating the web sites and the user community.

Issues before graduation:

  * Bring the sources to Apache
  * Increase community size and activity
  * Release once all licensing and export issues are resolved

=== Shindig ===

Shindig is a reference implementation of the OpenSocial and gadgets stack.

Incubating since: 2007-12-06

High-level status summary: Shindig community growing and working on
OpenSocial v0.8 implementation.

  * Community presence/growth: JavaOne, OpenSocial Summit, Google I/O
  * Aiming to get Infrastructure to provision a Zone (but progress is slow):
  * Retired 10 inactive committers (from Google)
  * Shindig docs are coming together:
http://chrisschalk.com/shindig_docs/shindig_sql_tutorial/shindig_data_tutori
als.html
  * Formally update the incubator status page (in progress)
  * Technical progress:
     * Initial work towards implementing OpenSocial v0.8
     * Lots of progress getting new RESTful server implemented
     * Implemented full OAuth support
  * Top 3 things to resolve prior to graduation:
     * Improve diversity of committers (progress, but on-going)
     * Run through at least one release (seems like 0.8-compliance is a good
time)
     * <there seem to be only 2>

=== Sling ===

Sling is a framework to develop content centric web applications based on
the idea of modularizing the rendering of HTTP resources.

Sling entered incubation on September 5th, 2007.

Community

  * Sling saw an increased community activity over the last two months.
  * Present at Apache Con EU 08 with a BOF, a Fast Feather Track
presentation and several mentions in other talks.
  * Sling won the 5th prize at the JAX Innovation Award
(http://jax-award.de)

Software

  * Sling enjoyed an intensive quarter of development moving towards an
initial release. Currently we are finishing up and taliating issues required
in the initial release.
  * Sling is participating in the GSOC program with Bertrand Delacretaz
mentoring Janandith Jayawardena developing integration support for the Scala
programming language.
  * Talks between folks of the Apache Felix project and the Sling project
took place which resulted in an agreement to prepare moving the Sling
Management Console to the Felix project.

Issues before graduation

  * Make an incubating Sling release.
  * Grow a more diverse community (so far commits mostly from Day
employees). Getting the first release out will hopefully help.

Licensing and other issues

 * none

=== Tuscany ===

Tuscany simplifies the development, deployment and management of distributed
applications built as compositions of service components. These components
may be implemented with a range of technologies and connected using a
variety of communication protocols. Tuscany implements relevant open
standards including, but not limited to, the Service Component Architecture
standard defined by the OASIS OpenCSA member section, and related
technologies.

Incubating since: 2005-11-30

Top issues? None, graduation votes have started!

News

- Releases: SCA 1.2 and SDO 1.1 are out and SDO 1.1.1 RCs are currently
under review

- Voted in three new committers - Mario Antollini, Feng Wang, and Giorgio
Zoppi

- Tuscany presentations at several conferences including PyCon Italia Due,
OASIS Symposium, and JavaOne

- strengthening of links with other open source communities such as with the
Apache ODE BPEL community and with the communities around OSGi

- Six students undertaking Google Summer of Code projects with Tuscany

=== WSRP4J ===

Failed to report.  One item of interest is that the community has engaged
the Legal Committee regarding blocking concerns with respect to IP.

Failed to report.