incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maven repository
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 14:13:30 GMT

On May 30, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

>> Wouldn't having "incubating" in the version achieve the same thing
> here?
>
> Not necessarily for users specifying ranges. Further, having the group
> be common for all incubating releases would make it easier for
> people to
> block in their repo manager (or with an enforcer rule).

The problem with that is when the project graduates and they remove
incubator from the groupId, there is a good potential to have two
versions of the same packages being pulled in.  The "incubator"
version and the "non-incubator" version.   If they use the same
groupId before/after graduation, that doesn't happen as the normal
maven dependency resolution applies.   With different groupIds, if a
developer updates one pom, but doesn't update another or similar, they
can easily get both versions pulled in.

Not a HUGE deal, but it is something to be aware of.

Given the choices of:
1) incubator in groupid and going to central
or
2) not going to central

I'd choose #2 any day.   That said, I'm still in favor of:
3) incubator in version number and going to central

Dan

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org