incubator-general mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: maven repository
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 06:34:16 GMT
> The package names have to change when a podling comes into the
> incubator (to the org.apache namespace).  So, the "blow" has to happen
> anyway.  I'm not suggesting we enforce this for existing podlings
> necessarily, but future ones should probably do it.  Once the podling
> graduates, the plugins would need to change the package name they use
> because they are now based on an official ASF library.  Is
> find/replace really that difficult?

*Once* is doable.  We can do a lot of refactoring of old code during
that anyway, clean away unused APIs, etc.

*Twice* (that is, once from com.ecyrd.jspwiki to
org.apache.incubator.jspwiki; then from org.apache.incubator.jspwiki
to org.apache.jspwiki) is not so nice.

Besides, us doing search-replace on other people's code and then
redistributing it is very probably not ok anyway.  Our own code is
trivial to modify; all the external code is not.

/Janne