incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: maven-repository cont.
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 01:59:13 GMT

On May 30, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> IMO, things going into the central repository must have their entire
> transitive hull available in the central repository. Therefore, we
> must
> draw one of two conclusions:
>

> 1.      Incubator releases go into Central
>
> 2.      Regular releases cannot use Incubator artifacts

The Geronimo project had this problem when we were releasing 2.0 which
was certified to fully support JEE 5.0.  To accomplish this we used
artifacts from both Yoko and CXF to accomplish this.  If we were to
wait for the incubator projects to graduate we would not have been
able to succeed in getting our project moved forward.  What we did to
provide stability and avoid the problem with the SNAPSHOTs we created
a repository project in our build tree.  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/2.0.0/repository/

In this tree we placed the time dependent artifacts so someone that
wanted to rebuild a release later on could by simply checking out the
tag.  When the build was done the repository project was built and the
artifacts were then placed into the developers local repository.  This
allowed us to continue moving forward and break a hard dependence on
SNAPSHOTs and transitive releases as well as provide a unified build
experience.

I think its up to each project to decide how to approach this problem
and there are ways of doing this w/o putting the incubator Jars into
the central repo.