incubator-general mailing list archives

From Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: maven repository
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 21:17:25 GMT
> As an end user, I would _hate_ to have to change all of my code to
> reference a totally new package structure after the podling graduates.
>  That's a major pain...

With JSPWiki we have plenty of plugins and other extensions donated
by people over the years.  Every binary break means that we obsolete
most of this stuff (unless we can take the responsibility of
recompiling everything).  Every binary break means that we will have
to answer questions from people running obsolete software because
they can't afford the cost of the upgrade because they have money
invested in the customizations.

So it's not only the pain of upgrading the package definitions;
changing packages issues a damaging blow to the ecosystem nurtured in
the incubator.  Sometimes the impact can be minimal; sometimes it
could be rather bad.

/Janne