incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thrift Status?
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 20:55:05 GMT
David Reiss wrote:
> My understanding was that we also needed to get ICLAs from anyone who
> has contributed patches to Thrift.

I would think that depended on the terms of their contributions,
wouldn't it?  Nearly all of the Thrift source files say "Copyright (c)
Facebook".  If contributors in fact assigned the copyright of all
contributions to Facebook, then wouldn't we only need a software grant
from Facebook, since it has clear title to the code?

There are two separate things we need:
  1. ICLAs for each committer before they can start committing at Apache;
  2. Permission from the copyright owner(s) of the existing code to
change its license to the Apache license.

The CCLA can be used for (2), but I think ICLA only addresses (1).  So I
don't see that we need ICLAs from any but project committers.

> We also need CCLAs from Powerset, imeem, Amie Street, and Evernote.  Is
> there a way to check whether these have been received?

If folks at these companies contributed on their companies time, and did
not assign the copyright of their contributions to Facebook, then we may
need software grants filed for these contributions.  And, as noted
above, the CCLA form can be used  as a software grant.

> I cannot go back to
> our CEO to get a CCLA signed for each engineer who contributes to
> Thrift, so I need to know what other, more scalable options are
> available.

The CCLA is recommended but not required for ongoing contributions.  Its
primary purpose is to clarify things between the employer and the
employee, since contributing to an open source project without
permission is frequently a violation of one's employment contract, so
having this permission in writing filed with an external entity makes
things abundantly clear.  So, as long as Facebook management has made it
clear that it intends for its employees to contribute their work on
Thrift to Apache, I wouldn't worry about having a CCLA for each of them.

> I would love to see JIRA, a website, and Wiki space set up.  I'll send
> an email to the current Thrift list asking people to subscribe to the
> Apache one after I verify that it works.  By the way, is there a way for
> me to view list membership?

List moderators can view membership.  Would you like to moderate the
Thrift lists?  We usually recommend that each list have about two
moderators.  They primarily review messages from non-list-members,
discarding spam and accepting relevant messages.

Doug