incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: draft proposal for Caitrin
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 17:18:54 GMT
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On 5/6/08, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
>>  I think the Roller option makes more sense. I doubt that
>>  a podling without three committers would even be accepted.
>
> Not true, it is even one of the options on the table when starting a
> new project. Start without any committer, and grow the community
> through meritocracy. Everybody starts anew in this scenario.

Fair enough. The Proposal Guide says "Apache is interested
only in communities." but that is not policy.

> This
> scenario just doesn't work well for established open source projects
> joining the ASF as they typically already have folks with a lot of
> merit in their team.
>
> However, starting without committers is a really hard thing. You have
> to publicize the heck out of it.

And spend a lot of time learning about "The Apache Way".
Getting the podling up to speed is no small task for a
single person, even if mentors help with it.

>>  Since there are interested people at Roller, you have a chance
>>  to grow the community there.
>
> I think that one of the goals of the incubator is to grow podlings to
> the point that they can manage themselves.

I'm concerned about the starting point from which to grow.
Apache committers have the Labs to get started and attract
a few interested people before coming to the Incubator.
A non-committer coming to the Incubator directly faces a
really steep learning curve.

cheers,
   Roland