incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Duties of the PMC members
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 19:33:34 GMT
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
>  > Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi Dims,
>  > >
>  > > This looks good, so let me comment specifically on things that IMO need
>  > clarification.
>  > >
>  > > On May 5, 2008, at 11:29 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>  > >
>  > > > #2: Create and maintain a charter that governs the PMC/project(s)
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > That's probably obsolete. I recall seeing some TLP's having a charter, but
>  > I don't think that's an ongoing practice. All projects are part of a single
>  > org (ASF) after all.
>  > >
>  >
>  >  I believe that "bylaws" are required. At least the creation of
>  >  bylaws is mentioned in the TLP resolutions I have read last year.
>  >  While all projects are part of the ASF, they still have different
>  >  ways to handle code review, release preparation, project plans,
>  >  and so on.
>  >  A "charter" serves to define the scope of a project, but I've
>  >  seen projects that just use their TLP resolution to that end.
>  >  Of course I've also seen both terms being used interchangeably :-)
>
>  i think http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html are the bylaws referred to

We covered this in the last board meeting. Someone [Greg? Jim? I
forget who] has an action item to discuss on board@.

If I recall, it's that said bylaws can be a pointer to obey the
general ASF bylaws. There is no need for any self imposed bureaucracy
on the PMCs part; not unless they want it.

Hen