incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Duties of the PMC members
Date Mon, 05 May 2008 20:42:18 GMT
Hi Dims,

This looks good, so let me comment specifically on things that IMO
need clarification.

On May 5, 2008, at 11:29 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> #2: Create and maintain a charter that governs the PMC/project(s)

That's probably obsolete. I recall seeing some TLP's having a charter,
but I don't think that's an ongoing practice. All projects are part of
a single org (ASF) after all.

> #4: Focus efforts more on community building rather than on code.

[...]

> #11: Be active and be a hands on contributor whether it is commits
> or JIRA's or answering questions on user or dev
> mailing list.

"Community comes before code" maybe a general ASF philosophy, but
relative time and prioritization of code vs. "community building" is
up to an individual to decide. Some people may code like crazy and
never show up on a mailing list except for an occasional release vote;
others may spend time on the lists, interacting with the users and
fellow developers and never commit anything. Either activity is not a
duty.

Andrus