incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cut the crap
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:22:22 GMT
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I've wasted too much time today on the stupid IP Clearance template
>  that insists on asking a bunch of irrelevant questions about
>  decisions that the Incubator is not responsible for making.
>  The required IP clearance questions should be:
>
>    Date:
>    Identify the Contribution:
>    Identify the Contributor(s):
>    What are the filenames for the applicable
>      software grant(s):
>      Corporate CLA(s):
>      Individual CLA(s):
>    Location of initial import:
>    Destination PMC:
>
>  That's it.

pretty much agree

the VOTE link is useful but maybe the incubator doesn't need to check
that a PMC is conducting it's affairs correctly. not clear how much
oversight the board expects the incubator to perform for IP
clearances.

>  Licensing the artifacts, removal of dependencies, changing headers,
>  and checking for product trade names are all activities of the PMC
>  before a release is made, NOT before an import.  Committer access
>  is a responsibility of the destination PMC.  Prior distribution
>  rights are irrelevant.  Where on earth did this crap come from?

dunno. stuff only gets fixed once someone notices it's wrong. it's CTR
so feel free to remove the cruft.

>  The template reads like a friggin nanny's club treatise on the
>  correct angle to wipe one's ass.  The only reason we have this
>  form is to record the connection between grant and initial commit.
>  Don't waste our time with anything else.

:-)

IMHO writing documentation is tough and it's hard to target the
audience correctly. probably an annotated template would work better
(if anyone has some spare cycles to implement).

- robert