incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Size of websites in incubator.apache.org
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:56:39 GMT
Tony Stevenson wrote:
> Good day,
>
> As part of rolling out the new backup server for the infra team, I
> have discovered that several podling sites are extremely large.
>
> Namely:

> 166M    /x1/www/incubator.apache.org/uima
I checked into this and discovered that > 85% of the space is due to our
keeping various kinds of documentation for our releases on our website,
including ~ 40 MB for the Javadoc API documentation of the "current"
release.

We keep past release documentation here (but not the API Docs), for 2
other past releases - these take ~ 40 MB.

We ended up keeping our documentation in SVN and checking it out onto
the website, after a long discussion of pros/cons, ending with this in a
note from Robert Burrell Donkin, concerning where to keep the
documentation and Javadocs, in which he said:

... <snip>
i talked it over the the infra team and their strong recommendation
was to store in svn and then checkout onto the website
... <snip>

You can see the whole email thread here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg05150.html

Based on this, I would like to keep things as they are, unless there is
a new conclusion about where things like documentation should go.

-Marshall Schor