incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:29:04 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
>> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
>> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
>> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
>> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
>> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).
>
> I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.   CURRENTLY,
> all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not set properly on
> the files, it makes it much harder for other people that don't use
> eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For example, without
> eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into notepad ends up all on one
> line.  (not that anyone in their right mind would use notepad)   It's

That's a pretty hypothetical scenario.  What editors that a programmer
would use are there on windows that don't handle unix eol chars?  You
call it short-sighted, I call it on-demand.  If somebody comes along and
says I would like to help with UIMA but I can't because of your stupid
unix eol settings, then we'll certainly reconsider.  In the mean time,
we're just saving ourselves some trouble.

But I certainly get your point.  I recently offered to help on a
project, but decided not to when the developers refused to make a
small change that would have allowed me to work in Eclipse.

> probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude folks
> by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you then only
> attract the folks that use eclipse making it self-fullfilling that all
> the developers use eclipse.

I agree with you in principle, see above.  Just not sure this
is really a concern.

--Thilo