incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject License files - separate or one file [was Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Apache Abdera 0.4.0-incubating (updated)]
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:25:18 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 31/03/2008, Dan Diephouse <dan.diephouse@mulesource.com> wrote:
>
>>  >>> -1: The LICENSE files need to either contain copies of the 3rd party
>>  >>>
>>  >>  > licenses, or they need to have a reference to the 3rd party licences.
>>  >>  > Equally, there is no need for the lib directory to contain copies
of
>>  >>  > the AL for every ASF product.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>
>>  >> Why does the LICENSE file need to have a copy of all the other licenses?
>>  >>  These are contained in the lib/ directory like many other ASF projects.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > See the last paragraph of:
>>  >
>>  > http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new
>>  >
>>  >

>> "or at least put a pointer in the LICENSE file to the third-party
>>  license" - which we in the NOTICE file.
>>

> But they need to go in the LICENSE file, see:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new

Did you not read the next paragraph?
>>  There is not a legal requirement here that it must be in the LICENSE
>>  file itself - if so, please point me to the place in the license. This
>>  is page is to provide "guidance" (see the first sentence), not be the
>>  ultimate authority on what exactly is legally permissible for distributions.
>>
>>   If you look at many other ASF projects in the incubator and outside,
>>  you'll see that this is not an enforced policy - this is simply telling
>>  developers one way to get started here.

Can other people please chime in here?

I have never ever seen this enforced and I do not believe its a
requirement. Just to summarize - do we need to 1) include all the
licenses for all our dependencies in a single libary or can we 2) have
our top LICENSE file which is ASL and then have individual LICENSE files
for each library in the lib/ directory.

I think not allowing the second would be a HUGE mistake. It makes it
much clearer which license applies to which file.

Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource