incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License files - separate or one file [was Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Apache Abdera 0.4.0-incubating (updated)]
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:44:17 GMT
On 03/04/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 02/04/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On 02/04/2008, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >  >  On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Dan Diephouse wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > <snip>
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  >  > > I misspoke. Here's what I meant to ask:
>  >  >  >  > >
>  >  >  >  > > Do we need to 1) include all the licenses for all our dependencies
in a
>  >  >  >  > single LICENSE file or can we 2) have our top LICENSE file which
is ASL and
>  >  >  >  > then have individual LICENSE files for each library in the lib/
directory.
>  >  >  >  > >
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  I'm not aware of a requirement for having only 1 LICENSE file.
In fact, the
>  >  >  >  > document says you don't have to append 3rd-party licenses to
the LICENSE
>  >  >  >  > file. It does say you should put a pointer to the license files.
So, IMO, 2)
>  >  >  >  > is fine. Other Apache projects do this also.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  2) is fine so long as the main LICENSE jar tells users where to find
>  >  >  >  the other license - i.e. it  has pointers to the other licenses.
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > AIUI this is not policy
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  My understanding differs, so I think this needs to be resolved and
>  >  formally documented.
>

> where did you find the rule you based your understanding of policy on?

Please see the first message in this thread.

We should be making it as easy as possible for users to find the
relevant licenses.

That's presumably why the main license file is only called LICENSE or
LICENSE.txt, not license.doc or readme.license etc, and the file is
always in the top level directory (or META-INF for jars).

Why should we force users to go looking around the directory structure
to find all the relevant additional licenses?