incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:55:52 GMT
On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> sebb wrote:
> >>
> >> http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn-config

> >> cr/lf (or have to see ^M marks all over the place).   I do all
> >> kinds of edits to bat files from my Linux box.  However, if they
> >> get committed with "mixed" styles, some versions of windows
> >> complain loudly when you try to run them.
> >>  Ok, I'll take your word for it ;-)
> >>
> >>  So how do you handle releases, as I asked in a different mail
> >>  in this thread?  If you now extract the code on unix, you have
> >>  .bat files with unix eol chars.  I don't think the windows shell
> >>  handles that.  Same for .sh files, just the other way around.
> >>  I'm sure people have a solution for that, but I don't see it.
> >
> > use eol-style: LF for .sh and CRLF for .bat/.cmd
>
> Right, that's what we're doing.  Dan on the other hand is
> recommending using eol-style:native, because he wants to
> edit .bat files on unix.  And this is also the setting in
> svn config that you pointed to above, btw.  We may have
> entered a loop here, not quite sure yet.

Yea.  This is an interesting one.   It might work for CRLF.   I think svn
may then prevent the commit on unix if they are inconsistent.   I know
you cannot "svn add" a file if the eol styles are inconsistent.  Not
sure about an commit.

In anycase, ANY setting is better than no setting.   It at least keeps
the file in a consistent shape.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA