incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA release - lots of missing SVN eol-style property settings
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:32:32 GMT

Actually, there is a "reverse" issue....  It also makes it quite
difficult for people to help with UIMA if they are also contributors to
other projects that DO use the normal svn settings,  Eclipse or not.

For example, lets pretend for a moment that I'm a Windows user that uses
eclipse and contributes to several Apache projects.  My svn is setup
properly so any .java files I add are eol-style:native, etc...   I then
am voted in as a committer to UIMA due to some awesome work I've done.
Do I need to maintain completely different svn settings when working on
UIMA so that I don't add files in "windows" format?

Dan

On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> >> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> >> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> >> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> >> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> >> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> >> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).
> >
> > I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.
> > CURRENTLY, all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not
> > set properly on the files, it makes it much harder for other people
> > that don't use eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For
> > example, without eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into
> > notepad ends up all on one line.  (not that anyone in their right
> > mind would use notepad)   It's
>
> That's a pretty hypothetical scenario.  What editors that a programmer
> would use are there on windows that don't handle unix eol chars?  You
> call it short-sighted, I call it on-demand.  If somebody comes along
> and says I would like to help with UIMA but I can't because of your
> stupid unix eol settings, then we'll certainly reconsider.  In the
> mean time, we're just saving ourselves some trouble.
>
> But I certainly get your point.  I recently offered to help on a
> project, but decided not to when the developers refused to make a
> small change that would have allowed me to work in Eclipse.
>
> > probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude
> > folks by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you
> > then only attract the folks that use eclipse making it
> > self-fullfilling that all the developers use eclipse.
>
> I agree with you in principle, see above.  Just not sure this
> is really a concern.
>
> --Thilo

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA