incubator-general mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License files - separate or one file [was Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Apache Abdera 0.4.0-incubating (updated)]
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:45:42 GMT

El mié, 02-04-2008 a las 23:08 +0100, sebb escribió:
> On 02/04/2008, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > On 02/04/2008, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >  >  On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> >

> > <snip>
> >

> >  >  > > I misspoke. Here's what I meant to ask:
> >  >  > >
> >  >  > > Do we need to 1) include all the licenses for all our dependencies
in a
> >  >  > single LICENSE file or can we 2) have our top LICENSE file which is
ASL and
> >  >  > then have individual LICENSE files for each library in the lib/ directory.
> >  >  > >
> >  >  >
> >  >  >  I'm not aware of a requirement for having only 1 LICENSE file. In fact,
the
> >  >  > document says you don't have to append 3rd-party licenses to the LICENSE
> >  >  > file. It does say you should put a pointer to the license files. So,
IMO, 2)
> >  >  > is fine. Other Apache projects do this also.
> >  >
> >  >  2) is fine so long as the main LICENSE jar tells users where to find
> >  >  the other license - i.e. it  has pointers to the other licenses.
> >

> > AIUI this is not policy
> >

> My understanding differs, so I think this needs to be resolved and
> formally documented.

My understanding is as sebb's, and the rationale is that the LICENSE
file is where the different licenses governing components of the product
are documented, and the NOTICE file documents mandatory copyright
notices and attributions from subcomponents, such as they would appear
in an "About..." box.

The part requiring that the top LICENSE file documents the whole
licensing agreement was stated recently in legal-discuss because of a
question asked there, and it is common sense, as the most natural place
to look for a LICENSE is a top level LICENSE file, which is additionally
a universal convention in the world of software from like 20 years ago.

Regards
Santiago

> >  - robert

Santiago Gala