incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Community diversity (again)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:50:43 GMT
Hi,

We've already discussed this a bit in the past [1][2][3] but no clear
consensus as emerged with respect to diversity and the current graduation
policy. There seems to be growing pain with the following policy paragraph
in the graduation checklist:

"The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there are at
least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single company or
entity that is vital to the success of the project)"

The problems that I have with this is that it doesn't seem to be really
applied so far. We've rejected podlings that were compliant to the rule when
applied strictly. I know that the policy also states that this is the
minimum requirements but it doesn't seem to be clear enough in the minds of
people reading this. And I'm at a point where, as a mentor, I'm not sure
anymore how high I should place the bar before pushing a podling toward
graduation.

Right now I can see 3 different ways to improve this:

   1. Stick to the rule and accept graduation even if there are 20
   committers from a single company and just two other independent, low
   activity committers.
   2. Make the barrier of graduation higher, with more rules (percentages
   come to mind for example), as the current are apparently not enough.
   3. Accept the fact that's it's a bit more fuzzy than that and modify
   the policy to reflect this fuzziness, making it clear that the current
   requirements are just a minimum indication (it already says so but given the
   expectations, it's apparently not clear enough).

Honestly, I can see several problems with all 3 alternatives. But they're
still better than what we have currently.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matthieu

[1]