incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KEYS file in distribution
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:50:43 GMT
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> UIMA currently ships the KEYS file as part of
> its distributions.  I found one other Apache
> project (Derby) that also does.  The others
> that I checked, don't (random sample of what
> I had on my hard drive).
>
> I would assume that putting the KEYS file in
> the distribution is at best not necessary, and
> may be counterproductive, as it might lead
> people to use it.  And of course you can't
> verify your distribution that way.  So I'm
> thinking of removing the KEYS file from the
> distribution.
>
> Any compelling reasons to go one way or the
> other?

source distributions should be identical to the contents of version control
when the release is cut. if the KEYs file is present in the source that's
cut, it should be left. if you're worried, add a note to the top of the file
(it'll be ignored upon import). if the KEYs file is not present in version
control, it should not be added to the source distribution.

for binary distributions, it's best not to include the KEYs file

- robert