incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Community diversity (again)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:48:06 GMT
Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
> > Make it absolutely clear that the diversity of the community
> > will be judged by the IPMC based on the overall conduct of
> > the project, mailing list, commit activity etc.

I'm not sure that "diversity" and "conduct" are really mapping that way.  A non-diverse community
can conduct itself properly and well, but still not be diverse.  And although conduct is important,
we do place value on demonstrated diversity, as well.  I'm afraid that we can give you examples
of where one or the other was present, but arguably not both, and we've had to deal with the
consequences later.  So we all try to learn from prior experiences, and apply that in our
current and future judgments.

> One obvious problem with such approaches is that the criteria will
> become very unevenly/unfairly applied. Some projects might just "slip
> past" with very little scrutiny, while others suddenly rack up a lot
> of discussion

That's life.  In the end, as much as we may attempt to quantify some notions, votes really
come down to the HUMAN and SUBJECTIVE judgment of the Incubator PMC Members.  Hopefully, we
all agree that these are people who have earned the right to make those judgments, and do
so in all sincerity, even if a mistake is made from time to time.  The Incubator PMC is looking
after the best and long term interests of the ASF and each of our Incubating projects.  We
want each and every one to succeed.  If we feel that QPid, or any other project, is best served
by building diveristy, that iss our collective best judgment of what is important and helpful.

The rules that I want to see are those that support human judgment, not rules that make the
judgments for us.

	--- Noel