incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the release of Apache Abdera 0.4.0-incubating (updated)
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:34:44 GMT
sebb wrote:

>>  > The NOTICE file is for required attribtions ONLY (e.g. as per an About box)
>>  > There's really no need to repeat ASF for each project used by Abdera.
>>  >

>> Having too much information in the NOTICE files is not a crime. The
>>  Maven remote-resources plugin aggregates all this stuff for us so we
>>  never miss any notice that we need to put in.
>>

> Unfortunately the plugin generates incorrect information.

It does NOT generate incorrect information. It simply generates extra
attributions for all the ASF projects we reuse.
> It *is* a problem having all the redundant information.
>
> See for example:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
> also
> http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party/notice
> http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party/notice/discuss

It says "should" not requires w.r.t. the mandatory license attributions.
Once again, I maintain that this is not a problem.

>>> -1: The LICENSE files need to either contain copies of the 3rd party
>>>
>>  > licenses, or they need to have a reference to the 3rd party licences.
>>  > Equally, there is no need for the lib directory to contain copies of
>>  > the AL for every ASF product.
>>  >

>> Why does the LICENSE file need to have a copy of all the other licenses?
>>  These are contained in the lib/ directory like many other ASF projects.
>>

> See the last paragraph of:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new

"or at least put a pointer in the LICENSE file to the third-party
license" - which we in the NOTICE file.

There is not a legal requirement here that it must be in the LICENSE
file itself - if so, please point me to the place in the license. This
is page is to provide "guidance" (see the first sentence), not be the
ultimate authority on what exactly is legally permissible for distributions.

 If you look at many other ASF projects in the incubator and outside,
you'll see that this is not an enforced policy - this is simply telling
developers one way to get started here.

Dan

--
Dan Diephouse