incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community diversity (again)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:36:16 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>> Make it absolutely clear that the diversity of the community
>>> will be judged by the IPMC based on the overall conduct of
>>> the project, mailing list, commit activity etc.
>
> I'm not sure that "diversity" and "conduct" are really mapping that way.  A non-diverse
community can conduct itself properly and well, but still not be diverse.  And although conduct
is important, we do place value on demonstrated diversity, as well.  I'm afraid that we can
give you examples of where one or the other was present, but arguably not both, and we've
had to deal with the consequences later.  So we all try to learn from prior experiences, and
apply that in our current and future judgments.

My quote is a bit out of context like that.  What I meant to
convey was that it is not sufficient that there *be* diversity
(in the sense that 3 independent committers exist).  The business
of the project must be conducted by a diverse set of people.  At
least that's what I got out of the recent discussions.

--Thilo