incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Statements from Qpid mentors would help me decide... [WAS Re: [VOTE] Apache Qpid Graduation as TLP]
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:23:08 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Carl,
>
> If you take a step back and think about it...this process has been
> like "pulling teeth". Don't you think there's room
> for all the folks on Qpid to be more open and forthcoming given this
> experience?

I am sorry if that has been the case, but we also need to respect
individuals. Let me add a few comments that might help. Over
the course of the project we have received large contributions from at
least 3+ legally independents. They include Rupert Smith (.NET),
Colin Crist (Hermes integration / use cases), Tomas Restrepo (.NET). We
also have 3 independents that have that have contributed
significantly but may or may not be termed legally independent Bhupendra
Bhardwaj (Java mgmt), Kevin Smith (TLS), Steven Shaw
(Java). Depends if you want to rant or not.

Over and above that we have no one company that has controlled the
commit count as Martin has clearly pointed out. Additionally we
have quite a few active independents currently on the project as Rajith
has pointed out that will most like be voted on as committer if they
follow through. All that said, we do have a set of committers that don't
disclose there employer. Aside from that this should be enough to
indicate that the project is well manged, welcoming and diverse, as the
project is not overly dependent on one company. It should also
be clear that we have or more than at least legally required number of
parties in the project.

We have seen a pattern of independents show and help create a feature
they need and then become less active. I assume this is a pattern
for those that can't write open source for a living but they are highly
valued part of the Qpid community.

personally I like people to speak for themselves, as that shows more
than one face to the project. So maybe the info has not been concise but
at least you know that we have a great passionate team and great mentors
on this project

kind regards,
Carl.