incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: (qpid) Diversity
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:24:15 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Friday 07 March 2008 16:39, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> So the CCLA exists for those who's employment agreements would otherwise
>>> cause them to violate their claims made via their CLA contract.
>>
>> Uhhh.... So, are we now saying that heaps of people don't need to get
>> the CCLA
>> from their employer? I thought the CCLA was the "belt and suspenders" to
>> ensure that the employee has the right that he claims. Otherwise, why
>> is the
>> CCLA a matter between the employer and ASF, and not a standard
>> document to be
>> signed between the employer and employee, for the employee to keep.
>
> Because it is more politically correct (easier for the employee) if the paper
> says it is coming from the ASF, it is a lot easier for the employer to
> understand why another corporation would need that permission, and it is
> a lot less likely to be "lost" if it is recorded with a third party.
> The employee can (and should) keep a copy for themselves in their own
> records.

Exactly; not every computer professional to walk in to their boss/client
and say "hey - I want to invent software for us, and publish it however
I like".  But it's feasible to say "hey - we could accomplish x, y and z
if I was contributing changes to this code we use to the ASF, but I need
this agreement signed off since my employment agreement / work for hire
ownership issues are in my way from doing that".

Bill