incubator-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Hama Proposal
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:22:12 GMT
+1 on bringing this into incubation.  I think it still needs a mentor
and I am also concerned about lack of interest from Hadoop, but they
have their own fish to fry, as they say, and it shouldn't stop this
from going forward.

I think it will be useful in Mahout, if there are Java APIs exposed.

-Grant

On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:29 PM, edward yoon wrote:

> Thank you very much for your advice.
> I was going to fix that.
>
> Last year I worked as a full-time open source developer at R&D center
> at NHN (search service company) for hadoop and hbase, and now i worked
> for development projects in real service areas. Some (minchang,
> changhee) are my fellow workers, Others { chanwit (Student), yongho
> (TMAX software, database company), taehui (KRIBB, biomedical
> government research center) } are came from hadoop community.
>
> --
> == Homogenous Developers ==
>
> The current list of committers includes developers from several
> different companies ( NHN, corp, TMAX software, Korea Research
> Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Students) plus many
> independent volunteers. The committers are geographically distributed
> across the Europe, and Asia. They are experienced with working in a
> distributed environment.
>
> == Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
>
> It is expected that Hama development will occur on both salaried time
> and on volunteer time, after hours. While there is reliance on
> salaried developers (currently from  NHN, corp, but it's expected that
> other company's salaried developers will also be involved), the Hama
> Community is very active and things should balance out fairly quickly.
> In the meantime,  NHN, corp will support the project in the future by
> dedicating 'work time' to Hama, so that there is a smooth transition.
>

> Thanks,
> Edward.
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Grant Ingersoll
> <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2008, at 1:56 AM, edward yoon wrote:
>>
>>> Dear IPMC,
>>>
>>> I´m still waiting for hadoop's answer, but IMO, I would like to
>>> continue to discuss this.
>>> Apache (incubator) Pig project is built on top of Hadoop, but it is
>>> not a hadoop sub-project.
>>>
>>> Each different concept of project has inherently different
>>> characteristics for its domain,
>>> so by knowing the concept of project, we can get a clear view of
>>> their project.
>>> I think hama applies in this case, too.
>>
>> Seems reasonable to bring it back here at this point, since Hadoop
>> has
>> not responded.
>>
>> Can you fill in the background on the 4 proposed committers a bit?
>> Do
>> you all work together or not?  It's not clear from the proposal, as
>> it
>> seems to suggest that you don't (Homogenous Devs section), but then
>> later in the Reliance on Salaried Devs it suggests that you 3 of you
>> do, but it may just be I am misreading the proposal.
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> --
> B. Regards,
> Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
Next Training: April 7, 2008 at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam

Lucene Helpful Hints: