incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: [Thrift] Re: Re: [PROPOSAL] Thrift
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:56:07 GMT
On Feb 1, 2008 4:48 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:20 -0800, David Reiss wrote:
> > J Aaron Farr wrote:
> > > git could be an issue.
> >
> > Can you explain what the issue is with Git?  We have at least seven
> > contributors (three at Facebook, four external) using git-svn right now,
> and I
> > know that at least a few of us would really like to use native Git as
> the main
> > repository for Thrift.  Paul Querna mentioned on the Thrift list that
> Apache
> > likes things to happen "in the open", but he said that others could
> explain it
> > better.
>
> I think the main issue is one of uniformity, not a technology. I'm quite
> happy to believe that git has some significant advantages.
>
> However, the ASF has currently standardised on Subversion. It is where
> _all_ of the ASF's code lies. If one ASF project chooses an alternative
> source control, we no longer have all the code in one place.
>
> We already have this 'diversified' situation with wikis and with bug
> tracking. We have two wikis (moin and confluence) and three bug trackers
> (Jira/bugzilla/Scarab - although Scarab may have been shut down
> already), and it certainly makes life harder in terms of maintenance.
>
> So, as an ASF infrastructure person, my first response to git would be
> 'no', much like an accountant's answer would be 'no' when you ask them
> for money.
>
> I think you should assume that you won't have git as a part of what you
> get at Apache. You are welcome to enter the Apache world, and evangelise
> as to why git would be good for the whole ASF, and it is certainly not
> impossible that it could be adopted. However, if a project made
> something like the installation and use of git a core part of their
> proposal, you can be sure it wouldn't be accepted.

+1

Said differently, I would love to use Bazaar at the ASF. Some others would
like Mercurial. You'd like Git. I bet we could even find a couple of people
who'd like to get back to CVS.

Also it would take me 5mn to setup a Bazaar repository on my machine and
share it with friends. In the context of the foundation (where the current
svn revision is 617723) it would probably take weeks to get something that
would fly, plus years of maintenance behind.

Cheers,
Matthieu