incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew Savory" <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:52:28 GMT
Hi,

> > > This is the wrong forum.  What we've said here is that there won't be any
> > > deviation from the ASF infrastructure for source control; changing ASF
> > > infrastructure is out of scope for the Incubator.
>
> > I already tried to move the discussion to community@apache.org, where I
> > think it belongs, but people insists on answering here.
>
> I understand, but that still doesn't make it an issue for the Incubator.

Actually, I'd expect the incubator to be exactly where such
discussions would crop up, as the new blood challenge the status quo
and seek to make sense of how things are done here. And, indeed, this
should be extremely valuable for the community as a whole, as it's a
chance to document our rationales, or to re-evaluate methodologies
that are rendered obsolete by newer technologies.

(Not that I think SVN is obsolete, but I do see some serious value in
reappraising the centralised vs. distributed model of development to
see what is possible within the Apache Way, or even if the Apache Way
should be updated.)

Andrew.