incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple hats for members wrt a podling
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:23:24 GMT
On Jan 31, 2008 7:20 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for general feedback about the group's
> perception of incubated projects and the number of
> roles that may be assumed by a foundation member in
> one.  Can I view RAT as an example

i knew that this would come up sooner or later :-)

i had intended to bully someone into championing it for me but that
seemed a tad perverse and wasteful

in fact RAT is an even more extreme: since the incubator is lacking
good documentation for the bootstrap process, i've been doing
absolutely everything (including as much infra as possible) and
writing it all up

but then again, RAT is a very unusual project. for example, it's rare
to find a proposal where an overwhelming majority of incoming
committers are Apache Members and the rest long term contributors
(five plus years).

> that it would be
> considered kosher for a member to be both champion of
> and an initial committer on a given proposal?

yes but i wouldn't recommend it as a model

> And in
> contrast, that it _would_ be considered a conflict of
> interest/logistical impossibility for a committer to
> be a mentor?

not at all an impossibility

but i would strongly discourage this model

- robert