incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Neng Geng Huang" <huan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] i18n4data Proposal
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 09:54:20 GMT
Hi! Jacques,

Thanks for your information.

The key of i18n4data is to i18n user's data, not interface message. For
example, if you are developing an e-shop web site to support two languages
(English and French), you might have a table to store your goods item when
you design the data structure:

ItemId int primary key,

ItemName_en varchar(50);

ItemName_fr varchar(50);

and so on.....

The employees of your web site have to input goods name in English and
French separately so that the end users (clients of the s-shop) could select
English or French to browse the e-shop.

Later, you may be asked to add one language more, and you have to change
many things, just repeat coding.

With i18n4data, you could design the web site only for one language and
i18n4data has a tool to i18n the web site.

My implementation uses database to store the key-value information. We may
use xml file or others to store. I didn't compare database solution and xml
solution, so I don't know which one is better. Anyway, l'd like all in one
file, then it will be esay to maintanin all languages.

The i18n of interface message is only an additional feature.

Hope the feature to i18n user's data may help both existing web site and web
site design.

Best regards,

Huang

On 2/2/08, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In OFBiz we have taken another but similar approach using XML as
> repository (and not a real database), please see  :
>

> http://www.nabble.com/XML-properties-files---brainstorm-td13955196.html#a13955196
>
> There is currently an effort to migrate all our properties files to XML
> files.
>
> Jacques Le Roux
>
> From: "Neng Geng Huang" <huangng@gmail.com>
> > Hello,  Ahmad:
> >

> > Thank you for your interesting in i18n4data.
> >

> > i18n4data is an alternative to resource bundles. If one wants to shift
> from
> > resource bundles to i18n4data then he might need to move the messages
> from
> > resource bundles to a database table. At present my project is only
> focus on
> > i18n of user's data, which could not be done by resource bundles. It
> will be
> > helpful to include this transfer tool into i18n4data.
> >

> > The proposal you mentioned is quite different from mine. You are
> thinking
> > about Business Application Framework, a very high level of development.
> The
> > i18n4data is only an tool to help an existing application to be in18ned.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Huang

> >> I am not a sponsor/mentor, but I would be interested in participating.
> >> I ran into this issue before, when working on this [1]. My main problem
> >> was how to i18n a dropdown menu.
> >>
> >> Resource Bundles did not allow you to store multiple values per key,
> and
> >> they did not have a reverse lookup, i.e. from french value to key.
> >>
> >> The solution that I was going to work on, was to move the messages from
> >> ResourceBundles to a database table. Is this a similar approach?
> >>
> >> [1] - Business Application Framework.
> >>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200801.mbox/%3c4795FBBB.7020507@khalifa.ws%3e
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Ahmad

> > --
> > ------------------------------
> > Mr. Huang Neng Geng
> > ------------------------------
> > Associate Professor
> > Computer Information Engineering Department
> > Wuxi Institute of Technology
> > Wuxi, Jiangsu, China, 214073
> > Tel: 86-510-5414627(8087)
> > Mobile: 13921501950