incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject February 2008 Incubator Board Report
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:52:12 GMT
One issue that came up during the past month is regarding the use of
org.apache.* package spaces when someone takes ASF code and forks it
downstream, releasing a non-ASF codebase using org.apache.* as the
namespace.  I suggested that the appropriate venue for the discussion was
with the Legal Committee, and that no one in the Incubator was authorized by
the ASF to provide legal advice, neither on behalf of the ASF nor users of
our code.  The topic has not been raised on the legal mailing lists as yet.

In the specific case of the package(s) in mind, we may end up resurrecting a
stalled project.  We will see how it goes.

A number of projects have been informally or formally proposed for
Incubation.  Those that we have voted on to accept are:

  Thrift  - http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ThriftProposal
  CouchDB - http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CouchDBProposal
  PDFBox  - http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PDFBoxProposal

CXF and Tuscany did incubation releases.  A number of projects are properly
recording their IP forms within the Incubator structure.

There has been a discussion of source control systems, with some people
vocally expressing interest in using another SCM.  We have tried to make it
clear that projects are not free to choose and/or run alternate critical
infrastructure, especially source control, and that the Incubator is not the
correct venue to discuss the adoption of a new source control system for the
ASF.  We've also tried to explain ASF practices regarding collaborative
development, independent of technology choice.

February 2008 Board reports for Incubator Projects:

=== Abdera ===

Abdera is an implementation of the Atom Syndication Format and Atom
Publishing Protocol standards.

The Abdera project is preparing release 0.4.0 which includes many new
features and improvements including a new StreamWriter interface and a
complete refactoring of the Atompub server APIs.  The community has
continued to grow with patches for bugs and improvements being actively
submitted by members of the user community.  Once the 0.4.0 release it out
the door, the Abdera PMC will likely begin working towards graduation.

=== Lokahi ===

Lokahi is a configuration and management console for Apache httpd, tomcat
and other web server infrastructure.

Incubating since: 2006-01-07

Testing on the MySQL port is continuing.  A Fast Feather presentation on
Lokahi was given at Apachecon in Atlanta.  Recently talk (and some code) has
begun around templating of configuration files, specifically for Apache
Httpd at this time.  And the need to extend Lokahi to manage Geronimo has
been mentioned.

Obstacles to graduation:

    * community - now includes authors outside of the original dev
community, but additional committers are sought.
    * licensing - oracle-only back end is now 95% of the way to an alternate
MySQL backend, and soon to be enhanced with license agnostic interfaces

=== NMaven ===

NMaven develops plugins and integration for Maven to make building and using
.NET languages a first-class citizen in Maven.

Incubating since: 2006-11-17

Items to resolve before graduation
 * More active committer involvement. We have two active committers from
different organizations but need at least one more.

 * We have brought NMaven fully in line with Maven architecture. This took a
major rewrite of the code.
 * Steady increase of mailing list subscribers over this period (from 35 to
43).

Plans:
 * We lost a lot of features when we rewrote the code so the plan is to
start reimplementing these features.
 * Proceed with frequent release cycle

=== PDFBox ===

PDFBox is an open source Java PDF library for working with PDF documents.
PDFBox entered incubation on February 7th, 2008.

The PDFBox project has just entered incubation, and we're currently setting
up the project infrastructure. A question about the licensing of the JAI
dependency was voiced on the mailing list.

=== RAT ===

RAT is auditing and comprehension for source code and binary releases.

RAT entered incubation in October 2007 but only in the last few weeks
started to setup the required infrastructure. Most of this is now in place
and the IP clearance for the code import is being worked upon now.

=== Sling ===

Sling is a framework to develop content centric web applications based on
the idea of modularizing the rendering of HTTP resources.

Sling entered incubation on September 5th, 2007.

Community

 * The Sling PPMC voted and passed the "Community Roles and Processes"
document.
 * Paddy Hannon added as Committer and member of the PPMC

Software

 * The Sling API has been finalized and the project migrated to the new API.
 * Creation of the Sling Launchpad, based on the former microsling module,
provides a ready to run configuration of Sling.
 * General stabilization of the API and implementation, should lead to a
first release soon.
 * No export control notifications are needed for Apache Sling.

Issues before graduation

 * Make an incubating Sling release.
 * Grow a more diverse community (so far commits mostly from Day employees).

Licensing and other issues

 * none

=== Tuscany ===

Tuscany simplifies the development, deployment and management of distributed
applications built as compositions of service components. These components
may be implemented with a range of technologies and connected using a
variety of communication protocols. Tuscany implements relevant open
standards including, but not limited to, the SCA and SDO standards defined
by the OASIS OpenCSA member section.

Incubating since: 2005-11-30

Top issues?
 * Graduation discussion
 * Getting the wiki to handle Chinese characters in order to support Chinese
documentation

Community aspects:
 * There has been open discussion about what are the next steps towards
graduating Tuscany as a TLP, trying to address concerns raised by the IPMC
related to the level of diversity in Tuscany.
 * Voted in Rajini Sivaram as new committer
 * Community involvement  continues apace - users are answering mailing list
questions, providing patches, and being voted in as committers
 * Users feedback indicates real usage of Tuscany in production
environments.

Releases since last report:

 * Java SCA 1.0.1 and Java SCA 1.1 released

Ongoing work:

 * SDO 1.1 is being worked on
 * A Native SCA, SDO and DAS release is slowly being worked on
 * The Java SCA 1.2 release contents are being discussed
 * Links with other Apache projects continue to be forged and lots of
exciting new features are being worked on\!
 * On going discussion about the JSR235 incubator proposal and having a new
podling dedicated to SDO

=== Woden ===

On 8th December 2007 Woden graduated from Incubation to a sub-project of
Apache Web Services. The results of the IPMC vote were 8 +1s, no 0s, no -1s.
This will be the last Woden report to the Incubator. From the Woden team,
thankyou to the IPMC for guiding us to the Apache Way.

=== XAP ===

XAP is an XML-based declarative framework for creating Ajax applications.

Community

 * There was some movement to make a few more people committers who have
been filing numerous bugs and bug fixes, we need to follow up on that.
 * Lack of activity on the mailing lists is a problem; we will have to do
better there.

Software

 * I (James M) was onsite at a real customer creating a production
deployment. Ran into some bugs and performance issues, especially in IE6,
which have been fixed and rolled into the XAP codebase. In particular data
centric widgets like tables and comboBoxes should perform better,
application startup time is greatly reduced and some stability issues with
table were addressed. (No more crashing)
 * We are starting the process of doing another release that incorporates
these changes.

Issues before graduation

 * Aforementioned community issues as well as community diversity.