incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:28:25 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
>>> git could be an issue.
> > Can you explain what the issue is with Git?
> Leo already gave a decent explanation.
> Basically, it comes down to two aspects:
>   1) infrastructure support
>   2) cultural bias

Only the first one is marginally correct, IMO.

Santiago wrote:
> > 1. You have to use subversion.
> Why? Has been a vote done? where? I vote +1 for git if a vote is still open.

No, there was no vote and is not vote, nor is there any choice.  Subversion is one of the
few things that the Board has mandated, imposed on all projects.  Period.  Pretty much end
of discussion.

No project was allowed to stay with CVS.  No project will be allowed to use another source
control system unless it is adopted at the ASF level.  Source code is a critical, shared,
public resource maintained by the Foundation, not something whose storage is managed on a
project by project basis.  The Infrastructure Team maintains and protects that shared resource
on behalf of the Foundation.

	--- Noel