incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:12:08 GMT
On Feb 17, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Most of the use cases mentioned so far for git, including some
> where people are using it on top of SVN with ASF projects, run
> counter to ASF principles.

Let me fix that:

   Use case: work on apache project while on plane
   * export list of jiras of your favorite ASF project into spreadsheet
   * sync project repo to your laptop
   * get on a plane for 14 hours
   * slave away at the bug list, fixing a bunch
     * create one patch per bug, with a good commit message, referring
       to the bug report, and commit locally
   * get off the plane
   * get online
   * sync project repo to your laptop
     * resolve any conflicts
   * for each bug report
     * submit and commit the fix
     * close the bug report

This is easy to do with git. It's a small nightmare with SVN,
especially if your project is a million lines of code.

(you could substitute "while on plane" with "even if network craps
out at hackathon" or with "at a customer site with big firewall")

> I am saying that (a) the ASF has a uniform source control
> infrastructure, which is currently based on SVN servers, and (b)
> our practices mean that development is done in public, not done in
> private and submitted en masse as a fait accompli.  These
> statements are independent of the SCM technology used by the ASF.

Exactly!

cheers,

- Leo