incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: "Binding" term
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:41:06 GMT
Please take a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
INCUBATOR-72 which I believe fixes the problem.

The policy calls for a community vote (which generally only the
mentors are aware of) and if successful, followed by a binding vote on
the incubator general list by which all incubator members can review
and vote.

There really isn't anything wrong with the current policy except for
the confusion caused by the reference to binding PPMC votes.

Here's the policy with the patch applied:

Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list. At least
three +1 votes are required (see the Apache Voting Process page). If
the majority of all votes is positive, then the Podling SHALL send a
summary of that vote to the Incubator'sgeneral list and formally
request the Incubator PMC approve such a release. Three +1 Incubator
PMC votes are required. Below is an example showing how an incubating
project managed this process:

The only thing that this change does not address is whether the
podling's PMC can stop the vote from progressing to the incubator
general list. I'd say if this is the issue, then the podling has
serious trouble that should be brought to the attention of the
incubator general, and as such I don't see any issue.

Craig