incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:33:13 GMT

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:01 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:59 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> This is almost the exact same issue with a podling; if a user
>>> never actually
>>> participates, as the project graduates should they remain a
>>> committer?
>> The difference is that committers in a TLP have been granted this
>> privilege based on their merit, not just by updating a wiki page
>> saying that they're interested.
>
> Keep in mind that isn't universally true, some TLPs are more liberal
> or
> flexible than others.  E.g. APR handed out commit bits to other
> project
> committers, while in httpd it takes 6 mos or so of consistent
> contribution.
>

>> We already have the concept of emeritus members who, having
>> contributed in the past, are no longer active. I'd like to leave it
>> up to each PMC to decide whether or when to change the status of
>> previous committers/PMC members.
>
> +1 - and I feel it's the same w/ each podling.  It is truly their call
> how to handle this based on how commit privs were granted in the
> first place.

And I feel that we have a duty to podlings to teach them the Apache
Way, which grants commit privileges based on merit.

I'm having difficulty understanding your position. Podlings can grant
commit privileges to anyone with no notion of merit? And no oversight
from the incubator? It's their call?

Craig