incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:37:41 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:25 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>>> Leo already gave a decent explanation.
>>> Basically, it comes down to two aspects:
>>>  1) infrastructure support
>>>  2) cultural bias
>

> Sorry, I've missed the thread that led to this, so sorry if I'm
> repeating others.
>
> I understand that GiT can be used locally as a layer on top of SVN.
> I believe this gives you most of the perceived benefits of GiT
> locally without the need for a project itself to switch to GiT.

I am a bit lost here as well -- what does GiT add to the processes/
workflows common in the ASF ?

One of the great things about GiT is that you can can have lots of
parallel and non-linear merges (every developer their own branch; lots
of people merging the same patch into different sequences) -- and as
such I can see it being perfectly tuned for, say, Linux.

However in the ASF most groups work roughly along fairly linear lines;
with 'one' or just a 'few' points at which a patch is accepted - and
essentially few, or just one, merge point (or a single line of merge
points when backported). Rarely do we merge multiple 'HEAD's.

And I'd almost argue that SVN is a useful framework which helps us
stay on the paved roads - where a single head progresses with group
consensus and generally agreed merit.

Thanks,

Dw