incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Santiago Gala" <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:10:19 GMT
On Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM, Stefan Hepper <sthepper@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
> > I don't group all IBM'ers, really - I actually believe IBM'ers do tons
> > of good in many open source projects. Also I think IBM itself is a
> > somewhat good open source citizen in several regards.
> >
> > But it is not individuals that propose this particular project, as I
> > understand it: it is IBM and BEA. And it was IBM that, in my view,
> > dumped the JSR 168 RI and then fled - not any individuals as such.
> >

> I don't agree with this, after the JSR 168 was final in Oct 2003 IBMers
> continued to work on the RI to get to the 1.0.1 release.
> I did still write comments and emails in 2004 / 2005.
> After 1.0.1 was finished a discussion in the community started to
> re-factor that code and create 1.1. It is true that the release of 1.1
> took quite some time, but the discussions on the mailing list started
> quite soon after 1.0.1 was out AFAIR.
>
> Another thing to consider is that in order to really create a new
> version with new portlet features you need to have a new JSR. In in that
> case it took 2 years until V2.0 was started at the JCP.

This is, in my opinion, what is actually killing  the processes is:
the need to have a JSR leading the way. This, together with the
complicated mindset that java coding seems to promote nowadays. While
the JSR crawls slowly to get a version out, much faster evolution for
the same concepts is going on out of the JCP (which is, IMO,
completely dead).

I found the whole thing very frustrating. I think the JCP is mostly
dragging software development nowadays. For a clear example on this,
see how active portlet aggregation development is completely out of
JSR-168/JSR-286 for Facebook, etc. and the whole OpenSocial
initiative, which is the only area where I'm seeing real activity as
opposed to maintenance.

Regards
Santiago