incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: TripleSoup and CouchDB
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:48:55 GMT
On Feb 21, 2008, at 7:36 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Now that CouchDB has been brought into the Incubator, is there
> anything that
> the old TripleSoup project would have to offer?

Hmmmh? Like what?

TripleSoup code is mostly in C, for serving up triples, using an
apache module for HTTP/REST.

CouchDB code is mostly in Erlang (right?), for serving up document-
based stuff, using MochiWeb (right?).

The projects are similar in that they are both "infastructure for
building web stuff", but AFAICS everything else about them is just
about completely different, most importantly the underlying vision.

The TripleSoup-ish semantic web vision is all about a world with
*less* documents, instead going towards a more "granular" triples-
based web, whereas CouchDB is firmly document-based. RDF mandates
URIs whereas CouchDB mandates only strings, but suggests UUIDs. Etc etc.

>   Would the people who were
> interested in TripleSoup be interested in participating on CouchDB?

I wouldn't know...but based on the above, probably not so much :-)

cheers!

- Leo