incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:56:26 GMT
On Feb 17, 2008 7:51 AM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> But visibility of the content and process very much IS part of "the Apache Way."
>
> Most of the use cases mentioned so far for git, including some where people are using
it on top of SVN with ASF projects, run counter to ASF principles.  It is *NOT* in our best
interests and practices for people to work in private on bulk code, and periodically submit
big changes.  We want those changes made in public view in Subversion branches where the Community
can see the work in progress, not when it is complete.  We need to reeducate people who believe
otherwise.

> That said, I am not saying that people can't use whatever SVN client(s) they want to
use.  I am saying that (a) the ASF has a uniform source control infrastructure, which is currently
based on SVN servers, and (b) our practices mean that development is done in public, not done
in private and submitted en masse as a fait accompli.  These statements are independent of
the SCM technology used by the ASF.

+1.  -- justin