incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 22:43:41 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 2, 2008 10:24 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 12:59 PM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...Maybe the interesting question is whether you think - based on your
> > experience - if is is really appropriate to try to create a JCP RI as
> > an Apache incubator project?...
>
> IMHO, Jackrabbit is a successful example of such an RI at Apache.

A key point here is that Jackrabbit was never meant to be just the
reference implementation of JSR 170. A pre-1.0 snapshot of Apache
Jackrabbit was used as the JCR RI, but that was never the ultimate
goal of the project.

Basically, a project needs to be used, not just developed. We
typically focus a lot on the diversity and health of the development
community, but perhaps we should also consider the user community.
With Pluto it sounds like (I'm just reading the thread here) IBM's
goal was to develop the product but not really to use it.

BR,

Jukka Zitting