incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mark Slee" <ms...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Thrift
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:48:16 GMT
Well, note that this isn't strictly an IP issue. The issue here was the
committers list, not the IP of the code. I don't see why all the code
would need to be written by people on the initial committers list to
pass IP restrictions.

These two seem like disjoint issues to me. All code in the codebase
today has been committed by an approved committer with the consent of
the people providing the patches, so things should be consistent on the
IP front.

Cheers,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Martijn Dashorst [mailto:martijn.dashorst@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 5:32 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Thrift

On 2/4/08, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> Sorry, you are right. I just doublechecked Cayenne incubator release
> history, and we did clear all our IP issues before posting the first
> release. Anyways, throwing away the code just to *enter* the Incubator

> is neither required

True

> nor seems like a good approach.

I don't see it any different from starting an incubation with an empty
committers list where all committers need to gain karma, which is a
perfectly valid incubation strategy.

Starting with a clean slate code wise could be a strategy for
incubation, which will alleviate any code provenance issues, and
probably be a good starting point for a prosperous and healthy
community.

I'm not saying that thrift must do this, I just provide it as a viable
alternative.

Martijn