incubator-general mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:29:09 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Justin put it very well in a related thread elsewhere (permission
> sought):

[ CHOP interesting adamant view from Justin ]
(Where is "elsewhere", btw?)

What I find strange in all this is the view that ALL projects at Apache
would have to change to OtherSCM if one project would want that..

Indeed, I find the decision to use one single SVN repo for the entire
organization's source pretty strange. I'd believe that one repo for
every TLP, for example, would be great (AFAIK, TLP-promotion can be
handled too with history preserved). This would help in every single
aspect in regard to the volume of source and activity, could use
multiple servers etc - and incidentally using another SCM for a
particular project wouldn't be that big a deal anymore. The only
downside I see is a slight bit more configuration management, and that
copying/moving a file from one repo to another would not keep history
that well. How often does this happen, though?
   However, I'm no SVN expert, so I can easily have misunderstood
everything.

Endre.