incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re-election of podling committers before graduation
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:59:35 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 04:11, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> STM that something along these lines would be a more lightweight but
>> equally effective process. we could ask the PPMC if it's pruned
>> inactive committers from the graudation list.
>
> Personally, I don't see a difference between inactive committers in a podling
> than for a TLP. Should existing projects "prune" their committer lists on an
> annual basis? I think there is no need.

The only argument for doing so is subversion access by 'abandoned' accounts.
With the oversight of commit logs, in practice this is not an issue, so the
one aspect that root might be concerned with is a user who does not use
their people.apache.org shell login for a substantial period of time.  And
those cases would be better handled by infrastructure with an ASF-wide
policy to achieve their goals of security for the foundation machines.

So I don't see a difference with 'pruning' TLP committers.  The only time
I'd encourage it is to revoke bits that we never used (you'll notice over
the long history of a project folks are given commit privs and never use
them.  In this case, the project didn't have a chance to perform any
oversight if the privilege was used correctly, time makes it less likely
that the project will pay appropriate attention.)

This is almost the exact same issue with a podling; if a user never actually
participates, as the project graduates should they remain a committer?

My gut check suggests the projects should ask those never-active committers
if they plan to participate, or if are unlikely to ever do so.  If not,
adjust the committers access list appropriately (inviting them to come back
whenever they have cycles and interest to contribute)