incubator-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Thrift]
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:28:50 GMT
community-digest-help@apache.org wrote:
> "Santiago Gala" <sgala@apache.org> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 2:48 PM, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 2, 2008, at 1:20 AM, David Reiss wrote:
>>> J Aaron Farr wrote:
snip...
>> 1. You have to use subversion.
>>

> Why? Has been a vote done? where? I vote +1 for git if a vote is still open.

In the short term, the reason is because Infra doesn't yet support it,
and ASF projects need to be hosted at the ASF.  That's not to say we
shouldn't see if there are enough existing ASF committers who'd like
to use git for ASF projects, and if so, try to get Infra to support
it.  Even though we do have (some) paid infra staff, it's still not an
easy thing to deploy a completely new tool.

In the medium term, I'd like to see a broader desire to use git, along
with some thoughts as to why new projects need it instead of svn.  I
definitely understand your comments about infra needing to support
projects.  But I also don't think the ASF should try to be all things
to all projects.  I'd like to see how git users run projects
differently than svn users, and make sure that it really fits with how
we (the ASF) like to have consensus based community projects.

git feels like a different enough way to manage the core resource of
any project - the code (and/or docs, test, build, etc.) that I'd like
to put some thought into having us support it, rather than just
jumping in - both on the infra side (scalable repository; admin
expertise), legal side (how to we track all incoming changes?) and the
community side (are they close to The Mythical Apache Way?).  If that
means some community that's in a huge hurry wants to go build their
project elsewhere, that's OK with me.  You can call me an elephant
sometimes, too.  8-)

- Shane